17 February 2014

My Fictional World

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm joining in with The Reading Residence's lovely little bookworm Q&A meme 'My Fictional World.'

What were your favourite read's from your childhood?
I think my favourite was probably my copy of James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. I remember reading it over and over again; it was a rather magical tale that I just couldn't stop delving into.

There are always those books that defined your teen reads and stayed with you - what were they?
Most definitely Roots by Alex Haley. I read it when I was around 16 or 17 and it's a book that's really stayed with me and is one of my favourite reads of all time. It's a stunning tale, based on true events, that follows a family through the generations, from life in their small African village, into slavery and beyond.
I found a love for crime thriller's during my teen years through Harlen Coben's wonderful novels too. There are far too many to name and I haven't read a single one yet that I haven't loved. He's definitely the main reason I love the genre as an adult.

Who are your favourite Authors currently?
Oh, that's a tricky one. I read a lot of books by an awful lot of Authors across a whole range of genres so it's really hard to choose. If I had to pick a couple I think I'd settle on J.K.Rowling and Harlen Coben, because I haven't read a single book by them that I haven't loved.

Which 3 genres do you gravitate towards most often?
Historical, thriller and fantasy/sci-fi.

Can you choose your top titles from each of those genres?
Historical - Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Thriller - Touching The Void by Joe Simpson
Fantasy/Sci-Fi - I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

And your least favourite genres?
Horror. I'm such a scaredy-cat that I just can't read it! I'm not a fan of auto-biographies and the likes either, I don't think I've ever made it through more than a couple of chapters of one.

Of the many, many fictional and fantastical worlds, where would you most like to visit?
Without wanting to sound too cliche, it has to be Hogwart's doesn't it?! Failing that, anywhere that Alan Dean Foster has created in his writing; his fantasy world's sound stunning.

Everyone loves a villain right?! Who would make your favourites list?
Another tricky one. Hm. I think, for pure guts and for invoking rage in all around him, it could be Big Jim Rennie from Under the Dome by Stephen King. I'm not sure though...I don't read a lot of books with through-and-through villains in...maybe I should seek some out?

Share the books that have had you sobbing?
I'm not much of a crier but Thunder God by Paul Watkins is a recent read that's had me almost mourning for a character after his death in the pages.

And let's end on a high! Which books leave a smile on your face, and maybe elicit a few laughs?!
Tom's Midnight Garden by Phillipa Pearce is a definite; such a lovely, magical tale that left a smile on my face long after I'd finished reading it.

The Reading Residence

No comments:

Post a Comment